Confused on what type of onions to use when a recipe calls for an onion? Well look no further, this post is here to help you out!
- The yellow onion is most popular cooking onion as they are great to use for stews, soups, roasts, and sauces.
- Typically, when a recipe calls for an unnamed onion, yellow is a safe bet.
- It has a sharp flavour that makes it harder to eat raw.
- Sweet onions are great for frying (such as onion rings), sliced thin for sandwiches or salads, and French onion soup.
- Typically, the white onion is great sautéed, stir fried, in salsas, or in chutney.
- White onions are crunchier and have a sharper flavour than the yellow onions
- Red onions are great raw in salads, sandwiches, burgers, or for pickling.
- Shallots are great for glazes, salad dressings, and for adding into delicate quiches and custards.
- Shallots have a sweet and mild flavour with a hint of garlic.
- They can be swapped with onions with 1 small onion = 3 small shallots
Delicious Recipes Using Onions
- Caramelized Onion, Mushroom and Apple Puffs
- Instant Pot French Onion Soup
- Spicy Ranch Onion Fries
- Sour Cream and Onion Arancini
- One Sheet Pan Sweet and Savory Chicken Meal Prep
*At the end of the day, you can use whatever onion you like, use this post as a guideline 🙂